Departments & Services
Address: 1 Collyer Lane, Basking Ridge, NJ 07920
Hours: 8:30AM – 4:30PM
- Perform the core duties of the Municipal Clerk as defined
in N.J.S.A. 40A:9-133, while at all times working in the present,
thinking in the future, maintaining high ethical standards and
remaining impartial and apolitical in dealing with public officials
- Act as the secretary to the municipal corporation and custodian
of the municipal seal and of all minutes, books, deeds, bonds,
contracts, and archival records of the municipal corporation.
- Act as secretary to the governing body, prepare meeting agendas at the
discretion of the governing body, be present at all meetings of the governing
body, keep a journal of proceedings of every meeting, retain the original
copies of all ordinances and resolutions, and record the minutes of every
- Serve as the chief administrative officer in all elections held in the
municipality, subject to the requirements of Title 19 of the Revised Statutes.
- Serve as the chief registrar of voters in the municipality, subject to
the requirements of Title 19 of the Revised Statutes.
- Serve as the administrative officer responsible for the acceptance of
applications for licenses and permits and the issuance of licenses and
permits, except where statute or municipal ordinance has delegated that
responsibility to some other municipal officer.
- Serve as coordinator and records manager responsible for implementing
local archives and records retention programs as mandated pursuant to Title
47 of the Revised Statutes.
- Perform such other duties as are now or hereafter imposed by statute,
regulation or by municipal ordinance or regulation.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Q:Where do I vote?
- A:Polling Place Search
- Q:Voting Map Link?
- A:Click here to view Voting Map Link
- Q:Am I registered to vote?
- A:Check Registration Status
- Q:How can I contact the Township Committee?
- A:The best way to contact the Township Committee is
by e-mailing them at email@example.com.
- Q:I can't always attend Township Committee meetings.
How can I keep abreast of what is going on?
- A:Township Committee meetings are broadcast live on
Channel 15, and also video-streamed live over the township
website. After a meeting, video clip links will be integrated
to the related township committee agenda on the website.
- Q:My neighborhood wants to have a block party, is a
- Yes, to temporarily close a road for a block party,
you need a permit issued by the Municipal Clerk and approved
by the Township Committee. There is no charge for the permit
but you must submit your application at least 5 weeks prior
to the event.
- Q:My organization wants to have a fund raising raffle
or 50/50, what do I need to do?
- A: First, your organization must be registered with the State and hold a current registration certificate.
If you do not have a current registration certificate, please go to
NJ Division of Legalized Games of Chance Control web site to obtain.
When you have a current registration, you then apply to the municipality for each game of chance conducted.
Please apply four weeks prior to your event for processing. Click here for the Raffle Application.
- Q:Can I submit my fund raising application on-line?
- A:Bernards Township's website enables you to fill out the application on-line by
clicking on the raffle application link on the Municipal Clerk's home page. Print out 3 copies,
bring notarized copies along with Registration ID and checks to the Municipal Clerk's office
- Q:My organization is thinking of sponsoring a fund raising
event such as a bike race, walk-a-thon, or parade, what do I need
- A:Depending on the size, scope and location of your
event, you may need a license for a Special Event Permit issued
by the Municipal Clerk and approved by the Township Committee.
Applicants must reimburse the township if township staff is
required in connection with the event. Applications must be
submitted at least 60 days prior to the event.
- Q: What utility companies service Bernards Township
and how do I contact them?
Pinto Brothers - 908-561-8231
Raritan Valley Disposal - 800-342-5783
Gas:PSE&G - 800-436-7734
Water: N.J. American Water Co. 800-652-6987
- Q:Where can I find a notary?
- A:Notaries are on staff in the Municipal Clerk's Office
during normal business hours 8:30 AM - 4:30 PM. Please bring
two forms of ID. Standard notary fees apply.
- Q:How do I obtain a parking decal or hang tag for the township's commuter parking lots at the Lyons
Train Station (off Thomson Way behind the Lyons Shopping Mall), the Basking Ridge Train Station and the Stonehouse Road Bus Lot?
- A:Decals and hang tags are sold in the Municipal Clerk's Office.
- Q:Do I need a decal to park in the NJ Transit's commuter
parking lot at Lyons (Cross Road)?
- A:There are a limited number of daily spaces available
for which no decal is required. You deposit your daily payment
into a drop box on the site. You can also obtain a decal for
more frequent use by contacting Park America who maintains
the lot (800-523-1026).
- Q:I recently moved to Bernards Township, do I need to
re-register to vote?
- A:If you moved from another county or state you must
re-register. If you moved within the county or have had a name
change, you must change your address and name. Please visit
our website at www.bernards.org to download the form, or call
us at (908) 204-3002.
Municipal Clerk/Assistant Township Administrator
||Deputy Municipal Clerk
||Assistant to the Municipal Clerk
Thank you for visiting our website. Please contact us whenever
an issue is important to you. The Township Committee and Administrator
depend on your thoughts and comments, to ensure that at all times
our service offerings are community driven.