Boards & Commissions
Shade Tree Commission
On August 20, 1968, the Bernards Township Committee created the
The Bernards Township Shade Tree Commission to aid in protecting
and establishing trees throughout the township. The power
to regulate the planting and protection of shade trees is contained
in N.J.S.A. 40:88-4. The Shade Tree Commission is established in
section 2-17. The Bernards Township Shade Tree Commission
advises the Township Committee, Planning Board, and Zoning Board
on Shade Tree concerns on public property and along public rights-of-way. Currently,
tree care management needs are met primarily by outside contractors. The
Department of Public Works and Parks and Recreation Crews assist
with tree planting and aftercare along with brush cleanup. You
can contact the Shade Tree Commission via email
Bernards Township desires to maintain and promote a healthy, safe
and sustainable shade tree resource that will physically and aesthetically
benefit the community and its residents in the most cost effective
Goals & Objectives:
- Develop Bernards Township's shade tree resource and introduce
a diversity of trees and shrubbery that will provide for long
term coverage of public lands, parks and recreation areas.
- Establish an ongoing maintenance program for the trees along
township rights-of-way and coordinate with county, state and
utility company maintenance divisions to ensure that their procedures
are compatible with ours.
- Inventory tree resources on all local, county and state roads,
lands and parks.
- Revise tree ordinances as necessary to define responsibility
for maintenance, removal and replacement.
- Educate the public about trees and their importance to the
- Identify hazardous trees, develop and implement a plan to remediate
hazardous tree conditions.
- Ensure that the goals of the Community Forestry Management
Plan are compatible with the Master Plan and Open Space and Recreation
- Expand the educational opportunities and training for Shade
Tree Commission Members and Public Works Employees.
Township Committee Liaison
Meetings are held at 7:30 PM in the Owen Room on the second Wednesday following the first Monday of the month.
Bernards Township has been named as a Tree City USA by the
National Arbor Day Foundation to honor its commitment to community
Find out more about what it means to be a Tree