Departments & Services
Click here to visit Somerset County recycling website.
- The Department of Public Works is an organization that provides
services, as per our mission statement, for the residents of the
Township, the public in general as well as the other municipal
departments and agencies. Most services can be characterized as
maintenance or support activities.
- The Public Works Department, through its employees, provides
for the delivery of high quality, cost effective, efficient, safe
services involving public infrastructure and facilities to enhance
the quality of life in Bernards Township. This is accomplished
- Management of basic public services
such as rights-of-way, thoroughfares and other public facilities
including streets, drainage ways, recycling, solid waste collection,
lighting, street marking, signage, building maintenance, vehicle
- Planning for the future of the above facilities;
- Leadership committed to provide a quality local environment
through innovative management practices, the use of the best
available technology, and teamwork.
- The department consists of three primary divisions. They are: Roads (with
17 full time employees), Fleet (3 full time employees); and and Grounds (9 full time employees).
Department management (and administrative support personnel with a total of 4 full time employees) also has oversight of the
activities of the Community Service Division, has operational control of
all snow and ice control operations (regardless of department or division
assignments) and functions in a direct management, oversight or coordinating
capacity for various other areas of activity such as solid waste collection
and disposal, recycling and Clean Communities programs, Shade Tree program,
street lighting maintenance, etc.
- Service request response and quality assurance continues to be the first
concern for this department. It is our goal to respond quickly to each request,
maintain the same quality service and monitor our completion rate and customer
satisfaction. Excellence in customer service is the underlying theme that
is practiced up and down the organization;
- Development of new homes in the Township is almost complete and all roadways
and improvements will be accepted for township maintenance within a short
period of time. The time lag between acceptance of infrastructure and demand
for maintenance is a recognized fact. As that demand becomes reality, maintaining
current service levels (whether routine, seasonal or emergency) has been
and continues to be a major challenge and a second goal for the department;
- Continued implementation of the 15-year road improvement program utilizing
computer software and pavement management technology is the third goal;
- Continued use and expansion of shared services and outsourcing to contain
costs while addressing all service and support demands;
- Maintaining the infrastructure of Bernards Township, beyond those specific
requests from citizens, is also a primary goal of this department;
- Support and encourage participation in fire, first aid, emergency management
and other safety activities for the Township;
- Expand and intensify the safety, trade and professional skills training
of the numerous new and recently promoted personnel in the department.
Thank you for visiting our website. Please contact us whenever
an issue is important to you. The Township Committee and Administrator
depend on your thoughts and comments, to ensure that at all times
our service offerings are community driven.