Departments & Services
Fire Prevention Bureau - Fire Safety Permits
Fire Safety Permits
There are 4 different types of fire safety permits that the Bernards
Township Fire Prevention Bureau issues to commercial businesses/properties
located within the township’s borders for various reasons.
Type 1- $54.00 Dollars
- Kitchen Fire Suppression Systems- Non-LHU businesses and Mobile Food Trucks
- Group overnight stays
- Temporary change of use/ multipurpose room
- Welding/cutting operations/hot work
- Tents- 900 square feet and above
- Unoccupied/vacant building 2,500- 12,00 square feet.
- Churches being used as a temporary shelter.
Type 2- $214.00 Dollars
- LP-gas cylinder exchange program
- Unoccupied/vacant buildings 12,00-100,000 square feet
- Storage/retail of consumer grade fire works
Type 3- $427.00 Dollars
- Storage/Handling/Discharging of fireworks
- Junk yards/ outdoor used tire storage/ outside storage of forest products
- Unoccupied/vacant buildings of 100,000 square feet or more
Type 4- $641.00 Dollars
- Storage of 2,000-6,000 cubic feet of flammable compressed gas
- Storage/handling and processing of combustible, flammable and unstable liquids of 660 gallons or more
- Storage/handling of:
- 55 gallons or more of corrosive liquids
- 500 lbs of oxidizing materials
- 10 lbs of organic peroxide
- 500 lbs of nitromethane
- 1,000 lbs of ammonium nitrate
- Any amount of radioactive material for which a specific license from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission is required
Applications for permits are required to be submitted
at least 2 weeks (10 Business days) prior to the event or/permit
inspection. These applications shall be submitted in person to the Fire Prevention Bureau Office with a check made payable to “Bernards Township.”
Links for requirements are located on the right-hand side of this webpage for Food Truck requirements, Tent requirements, Open Flame requirements, and Group Overnight Stay requirements.
Permit Inspections outside normal business hours (7am-3:30pm Monday - Friday) require a fee of $75 per hour, with a minimum of two hours. This fee is required to be paid for by the organizer of such event.
If you have any questions regarding your permit application and the requirements, please contact the Bernards Township Fire Prevention Bureau.
277 S. Maple Ave
Basking Ridge, NJ 07920